When it comes to handling the removal of old mercury laden alloys in our mouths, we adhere to the strict protocols set forth by one of our esteemed dental research organizations, the IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology).

Several extensive precautions are taken and then we have added a few of our own to make the experience of mercury alloy(mercury filling) removal safe for our patients. They are as follows:

  1. Establishment of an isolated working field with the use of a dental dam.(PHOTO) These synthetic sheets of “nitrile” or latex are placed around the neck of the tooth in question forming a rubberized seal which is impervious to mercury filling chips or its gasses.
  2. Constant flooding irrigation to disallow overheating the tooth and force any mercury molecules gently away from the area.
  3. Heavy duty suction tips are placed only millimeters away from the work site to gather particulate matter and gasses that are always produced.
  4. Over-the-patient suction within 10.0 centimeters of the worksite to collect any “splash” or gasses that might escape the barriers mentioned above.
  5. Oxygen is administered to our patients during the procedure to create positive pressure away from the nose of the patient.

We believe that 99.9% of the residual mercury can be contained using these simple protocols.

Should patients be so inclined, following the procedures for mercury removal, an activated carbon rinse can be administered and swished. This product is not provided by our office. However, any patient can find this rinse easily on the internet or in a natural food store.

Read more … The Dangers of Dental Mercury


View our patient gallery